Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Shticks and staple guns. (Did you just say "shtaple" in your head???)

Smart-lady glasses, plaid, and pearls. Because I can.
Yesterday, I had a "conversation" regarding an interesting job. The whole thing was conducted electronically - first through a less-than-ideal-Skype-format and then over the phone (like normal people). I took the time to dress up, do my hair, put on lip gloss, and wear my smart-lady glasses, --- the whole shebang. Once it was over, I disrobed from my "formal" wear, put on some casual "crafty" clothes, and then --- for no apparent reason --- put on a string of pearls. I'm not sure what compelled me to glam up my plaid, but the mere fact that those pearls rested against my collarbones all day brought an awareness to my day that would have otherwise been missing. An awareness that even in my new reality, the little things matter whether they be a splash of perfume, a swipe of lip gloss, or the smooth weight of a cultured pearl. I know some crafters out there have a "shtick" - an accessory/mannerism they adopt to differentiate themselves from the masses and to add an element of their business to their personal appearance (flowery aprons, hair bow thingies, dangle-y earring bits, etc). I don't think pearls are likely to be my thing for the long haul, but for the today they were just right.

Tools (and tricks) of the trade.
And these days I definitely need something just right. When one is working from home on various projects, be they crafts or correcting one's -ahem - unemployment problem, one has a lot of time to think. Pneumatic staple gun in hand (watch out world!), I thought a LOT about my current circumstances. I realized over the hours - between the humming in my head and the hideous noise made by the air compressor - that I truly enjoy home improvement (Beth's re-upholstery project? Done.) or reclaiming a decrepit and sad piece of furniture (my Nana's deacon's bench is finally rid of the most goddawful orange color known to man). It is so much more thrilling
Chair seats ready for the mothership.
 to me personally to see a Twig & Bloom project come to fruition than it ever was to file a flawless travel claim or prepare a well-crafted budget. Not to say the work I used to do wasn't important: I was (and remain) fully committed to changing the world and improving the lives of Montanans. However, at the micro level - my personal level - this unexpected deep dive into my creativity has been revelatory.
Nana's deacon's bench. It's a keeper.

I hope that the future holds great things for me and my family. It may be a new job with a great organization or it may be a Twig & Bloom boutique, but at the very least I hope to stay in touch with this rediscovered love of home and garden and keep the Twig dream alive in some form or fashion. Everyone needs something that lights up their eyes and taps into that well of creativity that we all possess. That "something", whether it is a Twig-like project, a passion for music or an obsession with running on the trails, is what makes us special. In a world where the grind of the workday frequently (always?) collides with the responsibilities of home and family, feeling special (even if it is just to yourself. Especially if it is just to yourself) is what makes the promise of tomorrow an opportunity for joy rather than a day to dread.

So find that something for yourself. Wear the pearls if you must. Revel in your special. Bask in your awesome. ~ Stacey

Felonious Monkey-dog.
P.S. Meet Cooper. He figures prominently in my life right now as a pup of 15 months. He's a troubled soul. (He has a record with the Helena Police Department. Which is not awesome.)

P.P.S. - I am not sponsored or paid by any of the products that I may link to in my blog (yet?). I just love affordable products that make me feel pampered (Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lip Gloss is da bomb) and if I can include a product link that might make YOU happy, then my work here is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment