Sunday, January 11, 2015

Going back to high school.

When I was just a babe (aren't I still?), I loved the movie Grease. Every day after school, a friend and I would put the album on and dance, sing, and generally swoon over John Travolta. Well as I dig deeper into Twig & Bloom, this darned song keeps playing in my head:

Why? Because every day I am learning new things. How to run Quickbooks, how to start a blog, how to construct a fair booth, how to "feel" for thrifted cashmere sweaters (more on that another day), how to make these (fabric rosettes for you neophytes):


How not to make these (almost broke the stamp with the burlap): 

How to decorate for Valentine's Day
(which I NEVER did when working full-time):
There is a note in that heart from my daughter. It says I'm awesome.
Looking for less-cheesy craft birds. Make one perhaps?
Valentine's meets Easter. A twofer...

XC skied 3x more than last year. Already.
So often, as adults, we stifle and stymie (what a great word!) ourselves. Not only are we overwhelmed by our day-to-day lives as parents, spouses, and employees, but we also have limited time to explore our favorite things let alone learn new things.

Intellectually, I knew that many of the things on this list of "lookie-at-this-cool-stuff-I-did" were not complicated, but the sheer effort of gathering the supplies, finding the time, SITTING DOWN, and just doing it were enough to halt any progress I was making in my creative life.

So, I'm going back to high school. I'm going to stop being a drop out in my own life. I'm going to keep learning new things and remember to spend time on the things I already love.

And for you, my lovely readers? (I think there are seven of you.) While I can acknowledge that I have more free time than most right now, the point is the same: love the life you've built and keep adding to it over your lifetime. Don't be a dropout in your own life. We're just getting started and there are rosettes to be made, lessons to be learned (damn those burlap tags anyway), and seasons to celebrate.

Yours in don't-know-what-I'm-doing-but-I'm-doing-it-anyway,

Stacey




No comments:

Post a Comment